Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Militant Cult Member


I’m a militant cult member.

Yes, you heard me right.

I’m a militant cult member................sounds funny doesn't it.

Me, mild mannered, gentle soul, completely open-minded, Zen and Tao student, world religion researcher, Mothering, mother of four ~~~~ a militant cult member.

But it is true..................or it must be true because my Mothering style has been written in a book and my actions have labeled me a militant.

I'll bet you didn't even know there was such a thing. According to Peggy Robin in her book Bottlefeeding Without Guilt (now renamed When Breastfeeding is Not an Option) there is! If you're not sure about the status of your membership, consider these questions:

Do you nurse your babies past one year of age? [Yes]

Do you share your bed with your nursing baby? [Yes}

Do you believe that mothers and fathers have different roles to play in raising children? [Yes]

Do you believe that God provided women with breasts in order to feed their babies? [Yes, I believe breasts are for nursing first and foremost,,,what ever anyone else wants to with them other than that is fine by me]

Do you associate with other women who breastfeed their children or even--- gasp!---attend La Leche League meetings? [Yes, a former LLL leader here]

Do you sign your email messages with "Billy's mommy" or cutesy nicknames? [Yes,,,,usually sign it, Proud Momma to four amazing children]

This is an obvious sign that you are assuming a childlike, unquestioning, unintellectual role within the cult. [LOL!!!]

Do you follow the AAP guidelines of breastfeeding a baby exclusively for six months before introducing supplements or solids? (Presumably the AAP is part of the cult.) [Yes, and for those outside the U.S. the AAP is the American Academy of Pediatrics]

Do you believe that there are not only physical differences between men and women, but psychological and emotional differences as well? [Yes,,,and it is a delightful thing!]

Do you believe that motherhood is a noble calling and that mothers and babies belong together? Do you---gasp!---think that babies are better off if their mothers are home with them rather than pursuing careers? [Yes, I do]

Do you make your baby's food from wholesome, nourishing ingredients and avoid processed foods or additives? [Yes, I did,,,,and carry it over into their childhood/teen years]

Do you avoid pacifiers and artificial nipples? [Yes, but I have one thumb sucker]

"If you answered in the affirmative to any of these, let me warn you that Peggy Robin views these as characteristics of the militant cult lifestyle!"

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Any of these??? My wife and I might not have gone along with all of them, but we'd solidly agree with at least half of them.

Unknown said...

Up,,,,then you two are members of the Militant Breastfeeding Cult!!! lol!!

Actually, I'm quite proud to be a member!

Lori said...

One of the saddest things I every experienced was the realization that I would not be able to breastfeed Evan. My milk never came in, even with 2 weeks of electronic pumping every 4 hours. A wonderful LLL woman helped me through this time, but I had sooooo looked forward to this bonding experience.

Other than that 1 thing, I guess I qualify for cult status also! Hooray!