- I am in my early 40s and I'm still trying to figure out how that can be...
- If asked, I still think I'm about 28
- But that is funny, because if you had asked me at 21 my age, I would have thought, about 28
- I am the oldest of four children
- My dear brother, who was 12 months younger than me, died a week after my fourth child was born ~ I'm still trying to come to terms with his death
- Being a Mother has to be the greatest experience and calling of my life
- I married my best friend and soul mate.
- We are a part, more than we are together, that makes our relationship good as Im a very independent person and so is he.
- I love pizza, I could eat pizza everyday of my life [with different toppings of coarse as to keep variety in my life]
- I adore seafood and could eat fresh fish and shellfish daily
- I love good, whole food
- I love to create things
- My favorite mediums are photography and pencil drawing
- Someday I hope to be able to create a work of art everyday
- I love to sew, but haven't in a while because my sewing machine is broken
- No money for a new sewing machine because I'm saving for a good digital SLR camera, I like photography more than sewing
- I like to knit and crochet, and pray I have many days of life when I'm older to just sit and knit and crochet and listen to music, my Nana from Sweden taught me needle work
- I love music,,,all kinds, don't have a favorite, but I dislike rap.
- My wedding song was a Reggae song by Bob Marley
- I used to skydive, 268 times to be exact
- My parachute was the colors of the rainbow
- I used to rock climb and rappel..........I would prefer to climb first and rappel down, but most of my climbing was the other way around
- I love the rain,,,,I love to watch it, hear it and I love the smell of the air when it is raining
- I am………
- The above statement refers to my spiritual beliefs…..I am, I believe that everything is possible, that all religious and spiritual beliefs are valid and to that extent, I am part of the whole.
- I was raised Roman Catholic, but today am a member of four local churches and visit many more..........I love to attend churches and temples and see how others worship, although I can't define myself as any one religion.
- My favorite place to pray and meditate is outside, in the gardens with my hands digging in the dirt, or in the early morning as the sun is beginning to dawn and the world is slowly waking up..........those are the times when I feel most connected to God.
- I am Irish
- I am Swedish
- I am Cherokee Indian
- I am human
- I live in the country, in a valley called 'German Valley'.......and my favorite view is looking up the valley towards 'Schooly Mountain'
- My home is my most comfortable place to be.........I like being home more than any place else in the world
- I love to garden and grow things
- I have over 23 verities of lavender growing and hope to continue to add to my collection
- I love to grow herbs and perennial plants
- I am not the best vegetable gardener, so mostly buy from the local farmers
- I make a wicked apple pie
- I am a good cook, and always try to improve
- I lived in New York City for three years and absolutely love the city
- I visit on occasion and it always brings back the New Yorker in me
- I was a stockbroker for 9 years
- I was a media relations specialist for 4 years
- I worked in a high pace, cut-throat environment
- I don’t want to work like that ever again
- Right now I am a professional Mommy [I care for two other children besides my own four]
- I had four distinctly different births
- My first was overly medicated and controlled by the doctors without any due respect towards me ~ I was treated like a piece of meat
- My second was absolutely perfect, beautiful and peaceful with a midwife
- My third was my most difficult ~ as my son was breech and they turned him, first at 37 weeks and then again at 40 weeks and induced me........he was born direct OP and a lot of work to deliver
- My last was my most ideal birth because she was born at home and I delivered her, but not as perfect as my second because this was not a planned homebirth and it happened so fast
- I have nursed for a total time of 12 years and 8 months
- You can just call me Bessie the cow! Lol!
- I love water
- I love taking hot, long baths with lavender in it [that is why I grow lavender]
- I have had some powerful experiences in my life that first appeared to me in my dreams
- I don't know what that means other than it can be quite freaky
- I could get lost in a bookstore for hours and hours looking and reading,,,,,,
- I love to read, when I was younger I would walk to the local library a few times a week and check out books to read and my house today is filled with books, and I collect children's books.
- My most favorite place to read was sitting on a rock over-looking the waterfall near our house
- My friends and I used to jump off of this same waterfall
- Today, I would have a nervous breakdown if I knew my own children would be jumping off this same waterfall ~~~funny how things change
- My mother is from Ireland so I am first generation American on her side
- My husbands father is from Germany so he is first generation American on his side
- My dh travels the world over, I like to stay within 10 miles of home
- I love to play backgammon and card games
- I don't drink often, but if I do, I love Margarita's or a very good red wine [my hubby brings me wine home from all over the world]
- I have never smoked, I hate cigarettes
- I married a non-smoker, who now smokes? Still trying to figure that one out
- I think that Amsterdam has the right idea about legalizing cannabis
- I love rollercoaster's, and I am glad all four of my children do too, cause we have so much fun visiting amusement parks and going on all the rollercoasters
- My one vice is coffee, I drink two cups a day [sometimes more]
- But I have to get it at the coffee shop, as I just can't make a good cup at home
- I think that it might be not just the coffee but the routine of going to the coffee shop that I really enjoy
- I can't go into a local store without having to stop and chat and say hello to everyone I know,,,,this makes for long shopping trips
- I hate nail polish and fake nails
- I rarely wear make-up
- My hair has always been long [past my waist] for most of my life
- Right now it is long and I always wear it in a bunn
- I'm thinking I need a change
- I don't dye my hair, so it has a lot of gray in it
- It is exciting to me to watch my children grow and learn and become their own unique selves
- Sometimes it is scary to watch this process, especially since Katrina and Greta are teenagers now
- I would love to be a grandmother and great-grandmother someday
- The continuum of life fascinates me
- I married my first true loves ~ best friend,,,,they are still best friends today
- I love movies that are either funny or about relationships and love
- I hate action movies and scary movies, can't/won't watch them
- I love the discovery channel and the history channel
- I faux finish and paint murals
- I love to go to the theatre and at one point in my life, I had seen every play on and off Broadway
- I used to eat at Windows on the World once a week
- I was supposed to be at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, but because of my daughter Emma Sage being born with Down syndrome I chose to leave my job that would have brought me to the WTC that fateful day
- I believe there is a reason for everything
- I have never gotten a ticket while driving [knocking on wood right now]
- I love animals and have 3 dogs and 3 cats and 3 goats
- I don't know why I have 3 goats and they are living up the road at my neighbors farm right now
- I hate to shop, but love to go to Home Depot and Lowes and look around
- I Can't figure out why my daughters love to shop so much when I despise it.
- I collect pigs, antique figurines and paintings
- I have every letter and card ever sent to me in my life in a wooden box in the basement ~~~~sometimes I bring it upstairs and read though the different facets of my life that were sent to me by family, friends and lovers ~~~ I cherish the written word and it is such a treat to reminisce over cards, letters and poems
Saturday, October 08, 2005
101 things about me….
Wednesday, October 05, 2005
I’m a militant cult member.
Yes, you heard me right.
I’m a militant cult member................sounds funny doesn't it.
Me, mild mannered, gentle soul, completely open-minded, Zen and Tao student, world religion researcher, Mothering, mother of four ~~~~ a militant cult member.
But it is true..................or it must be true because my Mothering style has been written in a book and my actions have labeled me a militant.
I'll bet you didn't even know there was such a thing. According to Peggy Robin in her book Bottlefeeding Without Guilt (now renamed When Breastfeeding is Not an Option) there is! If you're not sure about the status of your membership, consider these questions:
Do you nurse your babies past one year of age? [Yes]
Do you share your bed with your nursing baby? [Yes}
Do you believe that mothers and fathers have different roles to play in raising children? [Yes]
Do you believe that God provided women with breasts in order to feed their babies? [Yes, I believe breasts are for nursing first and foremost,,,what ever anyone else wants to with them other than that is fine by me]
Do you associate with other women who breastfeed their children or even--- gasp!---attend La Leche League meetings? [Yes, a former LLL leader here]
Do you sign your email messages with "Billy's mommy" or cutesy nicknames? [Yes,,,,usually sign it, Proud Momma to four amazing children]
This is an obvious sign that you are assuming a childlike, unquestioning, unintellectual role within the cult. [LOL!!!]
Do you follow the AAP guidelines of breastfeeding a baby exclusively for six months before introducing supplements or solids? (Presumably the AAP is part of the cult.) [Yes, and for those outside the U.S. the AAP is the American Academy of Pediatrics]
Do you believe that there are not only physical differences between men and women, but psychological and emotional differences as well? [Yes,,,and it is a delightful thing!]
Do you believe that motherhood is a noble calling and that mothers and babies belong together? Do you---gasp!---think that babies are better off if their mothers are home with them rather than pursuing careers? [Yes, I do]
Do you make your baby's food from wholesome, nourishing ingredients and avoid processed foods or additives? [Yes, I did,,,,and carry it over into their childhood/teen years]
Do you avoid pacifiers and artificial nipples? [Yes, but I have one thumb sucker]
"If you answered in the affirmative to any of these, let me warn you that Peggy Robin views these as characteristics of the militant cult lifestyle!"